Robert & Lafe Abel Marathon Gas Station
Pictured above is Robert Abel and Lafe Abel, who ran the Marathon gasoline station in mid-town Winslow for many years. This photo dates back to between 1940 and 1945. Note, the gas pump, which advertises “ETHYL”. Back in those days, it was either Regular or Ethyl and all was leaded gasoline, unlike today’s NO-LEAD in three or more grades of octane. This station was ran and operated by several different operators during its time. Another well known person who had it after these two, was Frank Coker. The station was located on the east side of Main street, just south of Mac’s Cafe. Later the building was demolished and the site is now the location for Citizens State Bank of Winslow.