In late 1921 and early 1922, this building was built by public-spirited businessmen of Winslow and vicinity by subscribing for stock, and the cost was around $8000. The building was 100 feet long, 70 feet wide, 30 feet tall and had a full 100 foot basement. It had a seating capacity of 1000 and was used until the early 50s when it was replaced with a new gym next to the school.
The photo above shows the inside of the Eskimos old Community Gym which was built in the early 20’s. This is probably one of the earliest pictures of it from the inside. Note the stage area has not been completed nor will you see the balcony row of seats which were added later. From the looks of the building it was just finished or still under construction when the Eskimos were getting in some basketball practice.. Note the wood backglass on the goals.
Winslow plays host to Holland during the “48-49” season. The Community Building was heated by pot-belly coal stoves in the corners.
The old gym, Community Building. It was heated by two potbelly stoves and is how the Eskimos got their name. This picture was taken in 1950. Near the end of its time, the old gym still holds alot of memories for the Eskimos.